Recipe Adapted From The Bread Baker’s Apprentice
All Purpose Flour/ Maida-4 cups
Organ Egg Replacer-3 tsp (heaped)
Instant Yeast-1 1/3 tsp
Water-1 1/8 cup
Milk-1/4 cup ( For Milk Wash)
Poppy Seeds or Sesame Seeds for topping
1. In a bowl mix together flour, salt, sugar and yest.
2. In another bowl whisk together egg replacer and 6 tbs water until frothy.
3. Add 3/4 cup+ 2 tbs of water and oil to the egg replacer. Whisk together until incorporated.
4. Pour this over the flour mixture and mix with a hand mixer with dough hook attachment.
5. If needed add remaining water to make a slightly sticky dough.
6. Dust the counter and transfer the dough to the counter.
7. Knead this dough for 10 minutes. It should pass the window pane test.
8. Oil a bowl, place the dough insde and rotate to coat the dough with oil.
9. Cover with cling wrap and set it aside for 1 hour.
10. Remove dough from bowl after 1 hour, degas it and return it back to the bowl.
11. Cover with cling wrap and let it become 1 1/2 times the original size. It may take another hour.
12. Now transfer the dough to the counter, knead it for a minute.
13. Divide the dough into three equal portions.
14. Keep one portion aside and knead two portions together. You will have a larger dough ball and a smaller dough ball.
15. Now divide each dough ball into 3 equal portions.
16. Roll each portion into a rope.
17. Braid both the sets which will result in 1 larger braid and one smaller braid.
18. Bring together the edges to make a circle.
19. Place the larger circle on a greased baking tray.
20. Place the smaller circle inside the larger circle.
21. Give a milk wash, spray with oil and cover and set it aside for 1 hour.
22. Preheat oven to 160C.
23. Once the loaf is proved, give another milk wash and sprinkle sesame or poppy seeds.
24. Bake for 20 minutes. The loaf will start browning.
25. Now rotate the tray and bake for 20-40 minutes. The loaf should become dark brown.
26. Remove from oven and cool on wire rack. Wait for 1 hour before slicing the loaf.