Though I am using rice bran oil in my day to day cooking, I also tried using it in baking and guess what-I got a very good result. You can substitute any recipe asking for oil with rice bran oil to make a healthy bake. I tried out these cute delicious petite fekkas with Fortune rice bran oil today. These are mini version of the Moroccan fekkas which are related to Biscottis. I replaced eggs with curd/ yogurt. They were super crispy and very flavourful because of the fennel and sesame seeds used. Though the preparation of dough is easy the cutting part is quite tedious. It took one hour to cut and bake the given amount of cookies. They are quite addictive and you cannot stop at handful!!!
Recipe Source: Moroccon Food
Fortune Rice Bran Oil-1/4 cup
Vanilla Essence-1 tsp
Curd/ Yogurt-1/2 cup
Baking Powder-1 tsp
All Purpose Flour/ Maida-2 1/4 cups
Fennel Seeds-2 tbs
White Sesame Seeds-2 tbs
1. In a bowl cream together sugar, fortune rice bran oil, butter, curd, vanilla essence, baking powder and salt.
2. Add the flour and the seeds and mix to form a dough.
3. Knead to make it smooth.
4. Divide the dough into 12 portions.
5. Roll each portion into a rope to the thickess of your finger.
6. Place the ropes on a tray and refrigerate until firm.
7. Preheat oven to 200C.
8. Take one rope at a time and slice it into 1/8″ slices.
9. Arrange on a lined baking tray.
10. Bake for 4-5 minutes or until the base is golden.
11. Remove the fekkas along with the butter paper and place it on wire rack.
12. When cool remove the fekkas from the butter paper and store in airtight jar.
13. Finish baking the remaining ropes.