Normally I don’t buy white pumpkin. But after Kalyani announced the magic ingredients for Magic Mingle#9, I had to buy it. White pumpkin is used in sambar, mor kulambu and also in a north Indian sweet called petha. As I had to pair it with green chilly, I prepared kootu with whole green gram, pumpkin and green chillies. This was very easy to prepare and tasted great with steamed rice. It was also good with chappathi.
Green gram / Paasi Payaru-1cup
Green Chilly-7-8 (according to your taste)
Curry Leaves-2 sprigs
1. In a pressure cooker add green gram, chopped pumpkin, onion, tomato, gingelly oil, chillies and turmeric powder along with enough water.
2. Heat it, add the weight and when the pressure builds, switch flame to low and cook for 10minutes.
3. Remove cooker from flame, wait till the pressure is gone.
4. Remove lid and give a nice stir.
5. Add salt and bring the mixture to boil.
6. In a separate pan, add oil and add all the tempering ingredients.
7. When they crackle, add it to the kootu along with coriander leaves.
8. Remove from flame. Transfer to a serving dish.
9. Serve hot.